Monday, January 18, 2010

New Burger Truck in Miami

After inhaling 2 Fritas at El Mago De Las Fritas the day after Christmas I needed more. I told Miami blogger Burger Beast that I had to try the new burger truck he had been blogging about and we were off.

Latin Burger & Taco hit the streets of Miami in early December 2009 firing off tweets to alert followers to their location. When we found the truck they were parked in a not-so-convenient spot (on a stretch of Route 1 near Coconut Grove) but thanks to Twitter burger lovers were there. As we stood ordering burgers I asked the guy in front of me how he knew about the truck. "I read about it on a Miami burger blog." Beast was impressed, so was I.

The Latin Mucho, the only burger on the menu, is the creation of the chef behind Latin Burger & Taco, Food Network's Ingrid Hoffman. The patty is a riff on the Frita using a combo of chuck, sirloin, and chorizo meats. Served on a toasted white squishy, the burger comes with intense, slow-cooked caramelized onion and jalepeno and Oaxaca cheese. You can get yours with either the avocadolicious sauce (?) or red pepper mayo. I was in a bit of a haze after El Mago and have no idea what sauce I asked for. Whatever it was it was good. The burger is incredible and a unique take on both the traditional American hamburger and the Frita - a well-crafted taste explosion. And at $5.75 this double wonder is worth every penny.

I asked Ingrid's husband, the brawn behind Latin Burger, "What the hell is in this burger?" and he replied flatly, "The recipe is on the internet." Yeah, but you should head over to the truck before trying to make your own. These guys have it down.



They have tacos too. Tacos? I need another burger.