Sunday, February 3, 2008

Yankee Doodle May Be Saved


Wow what a difference a few days has made. The Yankee Doodle has been closed for only 4 days and owner Rick Beckwith has received an offer from Yale University for a new space, and a Facebook group started by Yale students and grads already has over 2,600 members. I appealed to Rick myself asking him to consider reopening (because my book is coming out in April and The Doodle is in the book). He promptly returned my email saying: "Because of the massive movement to save The Doodle it just might happen." What's really incredible is that the dudes that spearheaded this movement are not just interested in finding Rick some cash, they have already discussed working up a new business plan (did you expect anything less from Yale alumni?). From the Facebook page SAVE THE DOODLE: "We are working on a comprehensive and reinvigorated business plan to ensure the long-term viability of The Doodle." Absolutely amazing. I am moved beyond words and proud to be a burger-eating American when I see this stuff in action.