Saturday, November 22, 2008

67 Burger - A Glorious Belly-Bomb


I don't know why, but I keep forgetting how LARGE the burgers are at 67 Burger in Fort Greene. I stopped into the upscale burger joint thinking I'd get away with a burger 'snack' and after ordering realized that the burgers Jeff Maslanka turns out are hefty 8-9 ounce wonders. I added cheese, caramelized onions, and crispy bacon and was rewarded with a burger that almost made me skip dinner that night. What a beauty. And now, glancing at the photo above, I never even saw the garnish on the plate! I was focused on that burger and it was gone in 60 seconds.

Unlike most burger spots that cook on a flame indoors, 67 Burger actually know what they are doing. With the exception of Stand in Manhattan, 67 Burger manages to flame-cook burgers that have no residual 'propane' taste. You really cannot taste the flame, which is a good thing, and the burgers still come out charred on the outside, exploding with juice. The crispy pile of bacon (smartly placed underneath the patty) and the peppery caramelized onions were probably unnecessary but very tasty. The bun seems large at first but something needs to hold this pile of goodness together.

I chatted up chef and part-owner Jeff Maslanka before I ate and he told me that he's planning to open another, simpler burger concept in NYC. That's as far as he was willing to go with the info but when pressed on where his burger joint might open, he told me, "Somewhere in Brooklyn." Oh good, more for me.


3 comments:

Jay said...

That burger's a beaut.

I'm of the opinion that caramelized onion and bacon might not always be necessary, but they're never unnecessary, either.

Nick Solares said...

Hey, don't forget The Burger Joint Goodburger! They both do a flame grilled burger without gas flavor. Remeber when you had a Goodburger and the juice squirted you in the eye? Lucky you wear glasses.

Hamburger America said...

Good point, but between the two 67 Burger is better. They both squirt.