Tuesday, June 24, 2008

First Stop, In-N-Out



We landed at LAX and went right to the now-famous In-N-Out at the end of the runway. The family had not been in LA for more than an hour and we were already enjoying fresh cheeseburgers and hand-cut fries from one of my all-time favorite California burger stops. The vegetarian wife though had never been to an In-N-Out so I thought she'd enjoy an item from the secret menu, the 'Grilled Cheese with grilled onions', which is basically a cheeseburger, lettuce, onion, and tomato, without the meat. She was not impressed. I guess that's what I get for taking a vegetarian to a fast food burger joint.

As I was waiting for our food something caught my eye. "Were those chili-cheese fries that just went by?" I asked as two orders of fries heaped with something good passed. "Nope. Those are 
fries Animal Style," a cheery employee told me. We all know by now the extensive secret menu and the long list of goodness you can order and sound like a pro, but somehow the Fries, Animal Style slipped right by me. Imagine fries, those yummy, fresh fries, covered in melted cheese, grilled onions, and a large squirt of their signature thousand island dressing. Too bad I had just downed two Double-Doubles or I would have indulged. There's always tomorrow...

This morning the Apple Pan was the plan for an early lunch. I knew that if you get there at 11:45 seats are always available. Get there at Noon and you're screwed. I chatted with Charlie, owner Sunny, Lupe, and a few other countermen. I ordered my usual Hickory Burger (pictured) and fries, but skipped the milk today for root beer. The wife and kids ordered their famous and tasty tuna sandwiches and by the time we finished (10 mins) the place was mobbed.

Tomorrow I'll be signing books at Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood. Thursday, a visit to Marty's.

1 comment:

The Übereater said...

Ahhhh IN-N-OUT, the bane of my neverending quest for a six-pack. In the little time I have spent on the West Coast, I've managed to enjoy IN-N-OUT dozens of times. This place is simply in-n-OUT of this world. Much like you, I once arrived at the San Jose airport on a business trip, and proceeded to have my driver take me to IN-N-OUT immediately. 3x3 Animal Style please! I only eat special sauce here, no where else.

I will always love IN-N-OUT, but my mid-drift is thankful they won't be coming to NYC anytime soon...

The Ubereater
www.ubereater.com