Friday, July 25, 2008

Five Guys Park Slope Now Open



We arrived at my neighborhood Five Guys (the whole family) on opening day only 20 minutes after opening and were greeted immediately by owner Craig offering us a high chair for our 1 year-old...WOW.  Now that's the way to open a restaurant in Park Slope, home to the largest stroller mafia on the planet.

Business was brisk and the burgers were great. The physical space is larger than Craig's Montague St. location and he told me construction has already begun on his next location in Bay Ridge. I had a cheeseburger with grilled onions that was cooked through (standard practice) but was still a very moist grease bomb. The vegetarian wife loves the Five Guys veggie, which is basically a grilled cheese on a burger bun with all of the condiments. The clientele were mostly from across the street at Methodist Hospital standing in line, smiling, with scrubs and stethoscopes. It's always comforting to see an army of med-schooled doctors scarfing down burgers. The family was joined at lunch by omnipresent burger blogger Adam Kuban. I would recommend visiting his blog entry here for more details on opening day.

The comment corkboard had only been up for an hour and it already had two comments posted. Adam and I got a kick out of this one (pictured) but realized that what it lacks in grammar it makes up for in passion. We all know what this dude was trying to say (and MAN was he tryin' hard!).  I'm glad I'm not the only one out there as nutz for Five Guys.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently found your blog (and a few other "burger blogs") that all mentioned "Five Guys". Loving burgers - like I do - I actually was considering a trip "up north" to pay these guys a visit. Then, on the way home from a weekend at the bay - I noticed that "Five Guys" has a place in Rosenberg, TX (outside of Houston)....woo hoo!

BTW, Red Robin gets TOO fancy with the burgers....and while they are "okay" - it's hard to be competitive with a burger here in Houston...there are just too many other great places to get a great burger!

Dave The Angry Rhode Islander said...

Visited the Mystic, CT Five Guys the other day. Loved it! Even though it's a 40 minute ride for this Rhode Islander, I'll be going back as much as possible. And to know a Rhode Islander is to know that for us a 40 minute drive is practically an overnight trip!