Saturday, October 18, 2008

Crazy Phone Call from Florida


I receive about 15 emails a week from people who have excellent hamburger info to share. This restaurant closed, this one sucks, "How did you miss this one!!", and so on. I also get emails from all of the big burger chains looking for my opinion, and random burger questions from fans ("I loved your book! How long can ground meat last in my freezer?"). Someone once even sent me a song they wrote about a cheeseburger. But a few weeks ago someone from Boynton Beach actually called me on my cellphone to tell me that I left Louis' Lunch out of the book. Louis' Lunch? Did he get a copy of my book that had the Connecticut chapter missing? Of course, they are in the book and one of the 8 burger joints profiled in my film as well. Click here to listen to the crazy phone call (where he pronounces my name wrong and calls my book, "your book in regards to cheeseburgers, etc..."). I've garbled his phone number in the message but the rest is audible and priceless. At least the caller has an unmistakable passion for Louis' (as do I).


2 comments:

Jay said...

Zing!

Oh, wait...

Felicia said...

I think your caller may have had a point--there is a place called Louis' Lunch in Gainesville, Florida, known as the city's oldest restaurant (it dates to 1928). Its burgers are peculiar--not my cup of tea, but they have their fans. The place is a real time capsule--old recipes served in an old building in an old and unfashionable part of town. Unfortunately, it's closing in a few weeks, which is too bad--it's the kind of place you would have enjoyed.