Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Visit To Hildebrandt's


I was in the neighborhood of the only Long Island burger spot in my book today and it just happened to be lunchtime. Expert burger taster Kris was also along so burgers at Hildebrandt's was the call. We sat at the long, classic, marble counter and ordered doubles and were confronted with an alternate possibility. The counterman asked, "Do you want two separate patties or should I smash them together?" Hmmm, think quick. A bigger burger or two thin patties? Forgetting that Hildebrandt's serves 1/4 pound burgers we opted for the "smashed together" version and were presented with enormous 1/2 pound burgers. Remembering that 2 patties see more grill surface thus have more griddle char we chose incorrectly, unless you like large burgers. Next time, a double with two patties (and bacon) for me. It's still a great, fresh-ground burger though and nice to know you can order your burger here two different ways!

The milkshake in the photo was a chocolate malt and was enormous. Believe it or not, the contents of the metal cup filled the glass three times.


5 comments:

Wauna-burger said...

Ohhhh look at all the mustard on the bottom of the Double!!! I to like my mustard and tend to find mustard later in the day.... On my shirt, pants, I probably have it on my face but nobody tells me haha.

Hamburger America said...

Wauna-Burger-
That's actually cheese, not mustard...

Jay said...

Are those chips on the plate in the background?

Hamburger America said...

Jay- sort of. They are homemade, deep-fried, sliced potatoes that Hildebrandt's calls 'chips' and they are gooooood.

Jay said...

They sure look gooooood. God I'm hungry.